Monday – Friday my days start at 5AM. I roll out of bed and try not to step on a cat that is guaranteed to be lying in the path to the bathroom. Days start this early because three of the 6 horses are in high maintenance mode. I’m always greeted with happy talk, so despite the early hour, mornings are my favorite time in the barn.
- Ronan – fat pony who keeps trying to eat himself to death. He stays in during the day and goes out at night in a low grass area with a muzzle.
- Rowdy – lovely old man who just wants to be loved on and appreciated. He gets meds 2x/day for his navicular and other ailments. Plus he needs calories to keep weight on his old bones.
- Odessa – recently had surgery on her elbow, so she gets an elbow massage and cold hose 3x/day. She stays up during the day and goes out at night.
- Emma, Bluff and Dan – wave at them as I drive off to work. These are the survivors.
- Chickens – open their coop door so they can eat bugs and grass and dust in the dirt all day
- Dogs – rotate everyone to their daytime hangouts
- Cats – rub on them and then kindly kick them outside for the day
- Toad – check his water and clean if needed
- Goldfish – throw in a pinch of flakes or pellets. They stare a hole through me until I do.